Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Stripping the floors

Getting my new range was such a dream. I know I'm goofy, but here it goes...It was a dream come true. Since I was in my early 20's I wanted a Viking or a Wolf range. *Sigh*
But putting it on vinyl floors...not a dream. So I told Jody  that I would like to rip out the floors myself. (He had no problem with that.)

So, started removing the old 3 layers of flooring.


I found a LOT of old glue on the maple.


If you want to strip your floors yourself. Some advice: Give yourself a few days, and make an appointment in advance with a massage therapist. You're gonna need it.


I figured with such a small kitchen, this would be a piece of cake. Nope. Old glue on an old floor = Lots of work and chemicals. I used good, old fashioned Zip Strip and a putty knife. Open some windows and wear a mask and gloves made specifically for chemicals.


The floors took me about 3 days to rip apart and strip. They are still not sanded or refinished, but someday, when we remodel the kitchen we will sand, stain and polyurethane. For now, I am more than satisfied. 
My husband really likes our range. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment